View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Cold Weather Running 

Post Cold Weather Running
Now that the winter of '15-'16 is almost over, I would like to share some thoughts on running on the coldest days.

1. Cold Toes: This has been my biggest problem when the temperature drops below freezing. I have tried double layers of socks, and duct-taping my shoes, but neither has solved the problem. I recently found two solutions. First, thin neoprene toe warmers that slip over your toes under your shoes and socks. They are called Gater Tip Toes, and are available from Gator Sports, Inc. in Utah for about $10. Tried them today with thin socks and they kept me toasty and I still had plenty of toe room. Second, they now make weatherproof, water resistant and breathable Gore-Tex running and trail shoes. I have not tried them, but am looking at the Brooks 8 GTX for next year. These give some protection from the cold, and are great for rain and snow.

2. Cold Fingers: I like to wear a wind-proof shell over mittens, or over any other pair of light gloves. If my hands get sweaty, the shells are easy to stuff in a pocket.

3. Moisture Control: Even on the coldest days, it is easy to work up a sweat and end up with wet clothes. It is good to start out a little chilly, and you warm up in a mile or two. Often, a good windbreaker over a long or short-sleeved shirt is enough. When I begin to warm up, I zip down the front. I bring a towel and a dry shirt to change into when I finish running. And a change of socks and shoes (when I remember). Avoid hanging around in wet clothes.

4. Eye Protection: My blue eyes are sensitive to the sun, and tear up in a cold breeze. I wear transition glasses to protect from both. The problem is, the glasses fog up every time we stop to reconnoiter. I find if I whip the glasses off when we stop and keep them off until we are on route again, it solves the problem. For the same reason I have to crack the windows of the car on the way home, for I'm still steaming.

5. Sun Protection: I recently had surgery for basel cell carcinoma on my forehead, which I attribute to decades of running. My dermatologist says that even on early winter mornings, one should apply sun screen to exposed skin when we are out for an hour or more, as is our norm. Zinc Oxide is best.

6. Traction: Ice and snow can be treacherous for runners, but should not keep us inside in the winter. After a dramatic fall and stitches, my family gave me some snow cleats which easily stretche over my running shoes. They work great and are easy to whip off and stow away in a pocket when not needed. The brand is DueNorth, and the cleats are replaceable.

7. Traffic: I think the most dangerous time to be on the road is early on a wintry morning, in the dark, on a weekday. Particularly if there is snow on the shoulder or in piles blocking the view line. The early commuters are rushing off to work, with their coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other, and for some reason are not expecting me to be there. So bright clothing, reflective strips, blinking lights, and anything else is in order. Weekend running is safer, because most people sleeping late.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]