View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hill running in Newfoundland 

Post Hill running in Newfoundland
If you call yourself a hill runner (and if you're reading this you probably are) you should plan a trip to Newfoundland where I've found more than a few "wee hills" as they're called by the locals. I was fortunate to get 3 trips to St John's recently and got to experience one of the most scenic hikes I've ever had, in addition to some nice hilly runs. Beer and mussels were pretty good too!

First off, right at the edge of town sits Signal Hill. You can't miss it unless it's enveloped in fog, which it was on 2 of the trips.
The trail along it's eastern flank is listed as one the 10 must do hikes in the world.

Susan and I took a taxi out to Cape Spear which is the most eastern point in N. America.
It is also the start of the Cape to Cabot 20K race, which lists itself as "The Toughest Race in Eastern North America." Susan and I jogged the 10 miles back to St John's. (BTW, never listen to the hotel concierge or taxi driver's advice on running..they'll try to talk you out of it.) It's a nice run, even if it did have a few "wee hills."
If you don't want to run the road, the trails by Cape Spear have been featured as a RW Rave Run.

If the hills, trails, beer and mussels aren't enough there's lots of this:

People are real nice too, even if they do talk a bit funny. Only draw back is figuring out what the time is, they are 1 1/2 hrs ahead of us.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:42 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Hill running in Newfoundland
Love this!
Wow Brookpeople - well done!

:D C.

"Please say ZOOM! I need sound effects."

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:15 am

Beautiful!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:18 pm

Excellent photography! That is one heck of an elevation profile as well. Very nice!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Disclaimer: I didn't take the 1st photo (hence the watermark) the others are mine. Also the elevation profile is, of course, exaggerated. Some of our routes would look scary too if compressed. But they were still BIG hills.

The first trip with the good visibility I ran without the camera/phone, so no good pictures from then. Can't say I ran very far up that Signal Hill trail. It didn't take long to realize it was going to be much more hiking than running, even before I got to this chain section:
It was a good thing as I really enjoyed stopping to enjoy the views and not tripping or falling or otherwise ruining a nice day.

Even on the foggy day, patches of clear air drifted in and we could see sights like this commercial trawler entering the harbor:

Fog and waterfront go together, even more so in Newfoundland. Especially when a 1902 classic Zulu ketch is visiting, having just arrived from France:
Yeah, going to miss trips like this.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, Steve, awesome! As far as your flying days coming to an end............gather ye rosebuds while ye may! :wink:

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]