View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 2014 the Good and the not so Good 

Post 2014 the Good and the not so Good
Fellow Runners
We've welcomed in a new year, the partying has been finished, and now it's time to get on with our lives in 2015. However before we move forward let's take a look back and do a quick rewind of 2014.
As runners, cyclists, fitnessists (sounds good to me), we probably have had some great blessings, and some bad tidings. In some cases it may have been more negative than positive, but by any means we have survived and made it to the new year. Sometimes talking about the negative, with a group of your peers, helps the situation feel better. Of course talking about a good situation is always good.
What say we throw out 1 triumph, and 1 mishap which occured to us during the past year. Let's keep it short and sweet (two sentances). Perhaps what happened followed by a reason or comment. I think if we stick to the theme of running, fitness etc., then it should be very interesting. Anyone else interested ???

I'll cast the first stone.

1. I completed a goal of running 14 half marathons in 2014.
2. I experienced my first DNF in 25 years of running. (but I survived).

Anyone Else ?
Happy New Year
DS :)

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Post Re: 2014 the Good and the not so Good
1. The Good. I equalled my total running miles from the previous year and made it thru injury free.

2. The Bad . Due to the winds and cold, the wait at Fort Wadsworth in advance of the NYC Marathon was the worst i ever experienced.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:12 pm

The Good: I ran my first NYC Marathon and accomplished the NYRR 9+1 to get entry to the 2015 race - thanks to the encouragement and support of Dennis, Bev, my family and all my HRH friends.

The Bad - or how running helped me deal with troubling times: Running and my HRHR friends helped me get thru my Dad's illness and recent passing. Thanks all.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:57 pm

The BAD: I earned my first DNF this year thanks to a chronic Achilles issue...the broken wrist didn't help.

The GOOD: Hopefully I learned something from it and am addressing the issue...like planks, stretching, and not running marathons when injured.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 am
Profile WWW

The Good: I FINALLY got serious about cross training and added a weekly workout with a really great Exercise Physiologist to my schedule (thanks Kathy!).

The Bad: I hit the wall just after mile 5 of the St. George Marathon. It felt more like the wall hit, and flattened, me. It was by far the most difficult event I've ever done -- and it should have been the easiest! But the good news is that I wasn't injured, just very sick to my stomach, and within a few hours after I finished I felt fine. Thanks to my excellent traveling companions, the trip to Utah was a very nice one, all things considered!

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 pm

The Good: I worked hard, and got strong, faster, and went longer than ever before and had a great time doing it thanks to my HRH friends.

The "Bad": There wasn't any bad (just learning experiences) so I'm going to focus on my hopes for 2015 here. I'm registered for my first duathlon, and plan to run my first marathon in 2015. It's a long shot, but I would love BQ...more hard work ahead!

Best wishes for an amazing year, everyone!

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” ~ Lou Holtz

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:03 am

Fun thread, thanks for starting it!

The good: Being able to rebound from a 3-month health problem and work my way back into running shape enough to PR at the Jersey Shore Half Marathon this fall

The (not overly) bad: Injuries keep holding me back from consistently running every week, hoping for better in 2015.

Valerie Mathews

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Love this thread, and love reading everyone's ups and downs.
I'd like to thank my HRH family for being there for my ups and downs. As hill runners we literally run ups and downs all the time, and each hill we climb and descend adds to our wisdom, experience, memories and stories.

Bad: Scratched several races this year due to hamstring pain. A few lessons learned here....next time I see the doc or pt right away.

Good: Winning in love and friendship. Took the time to just a run a few races along side friends and one with my husband. I love to race and run hard, but putting aside my need to compete, I discovered I won anyway. :)

I am looking forward to a healthy and happy 2015, and plan to take my training to a different level - once the weather thaws a bit. I hate this cold!

Happy Running,
BECCA

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 pm

The Good ... completed my longest ever running-only event in Nov..80 miles, being 17 miles longer than I have done before. Set myself up for that long-awaited 100th 'marathon or longer' running race, which I completed on Jan 3, 2015.

The Bad... lost first few months of 2014 ( and second half of 2013 ) to Plantar Fasciitis.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]